This smoothie makes for a great pre-workout drink. It has a good balance of protein and quick acting, natural carbohydrates to fuel your body for an intense session. The ginger provides a natural stimulant and a definite ‘kick’, whilst the combination of the cacao powder and plum creates a rich, earthy taste. The date adds a touch of sweetness, without taking away from the depth of the cacao. Best consumed right after blending with a thick straw!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk.
- 1/2 scoop whey isolate (I used toasted coconut Isopure, but any coconut, chocolate or vanilla protein powder would work well).
- 1 plum.
- 2 tbsp cacao powder.
- 1 medjool date, pitted.
- 1cm x 1cm piece of fresh ginger, grated.
- 1 handful fresh spinach.
- 3 – 4 ice cubes.
- Cold water.
165kcal; 15g protein, 24g carbs (3g fibre), 2g fat
- Remove the stone from the plum and slice into segments.
- Grate the ginger and remove the stone from the date, chopping into segments.
- In a blender (I used my nutribullet), add all the ingredients together and blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Serve immediately.