I love cumin. And cilantro. Both of these herbs and spices feature heavily in a wide variety of cuisine and they definitely make your meal FULL of aroma and flavour. I really fancied something a bit different for my lunches this week and with the weather being exceptionally humid, something summery and Mediterranean was on the agenda. These meatballs are similar to koftas and can easily be stuffed inside pita breads to provide a healthy kebab fakeaway. Enjoy!
Ingredients – Serves 5
(for the meatballs)
1 lb 99% lean ground turkey.
2 cloves of garlic.
1 large handful of fresh parsley.
1 tbsp fresh spearmint.
2 tbsp ground cumin.
1 large handful of fresh cilantro.
1 tsp Pink Himalayan salt.
1 tbsp dried oregano.
(for the tzatziki)
150g 0% fat greek yoghurt.
1/4 of a cucumber.
1 tbsp lemon juice.
1 tsp ground cumin.
1 tbsp fresh spearmint, finely chopped.
Nutritional Information (per portion, including tzatziki): 190kcal; 28g protein, 7g carbohydrates; 1g fat
- Finely grate your zucchini and crush the garlic cloves.
- Finely chop the parsley, cilantro and spearmint.
- In a large bowl, add the ground turkey, grated zucchini, crushed garlic, freshly chopped herbs and add in the salt, cumin and oregano.
- Combine the mixture roughly with a large spoon and then shape into meatballs using your hands. (Will make about 18 meatballs).
- Heat a large non-stick pan over a medium heat and cook the meatballs in two batches, flipping the meatballs as they begin to brown. They will need about 4 – 5 minutes per side. Ensure you keep flattening the meatballs as they cook so that excess liquid from the zucchini evaporates.
- While the meatballs are cooking, finely grate the cucumber and mix into the greek yghurt, adding in the cumin, spearmint and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly.
- When the meatballs are cooked, you can either serve immediately or this would make an ideal lunchbox meal for the week! I served mine with fluffy quinoa, shredded iceberg lettuce and roasted red pepper hummus, but they would work equally as well in a wrap or pita too.