Quiche reminds me of a British summer’s day. My mum is a great cook and, as a child, as soon as the sun reared its head, she would make quiches and salad and my Dad would barbecue chicken and ribs. The weather in Florida at the moment is like a perfect British summer’s day, so it inspired me to re-create nostalgic memories. This recipe has a fraction of the carbohydrates and fats of a regular quiche and can be eaten freshly prepared or made ahead of time and then reheated.
Macros per portion: (Serves 5): 148kcal; 24g protein, 9g carbs, 1.5g fat
12 egg whites
1 punnet (approximately 6oz) plum/cherry tomatoes
8 mini peppers or 1 large bell pepper
1 bag (approximately 9 cups) spinach
5 slices turkey bacon
2.5tbsp Italian herbs (or any mixed dried herbs)
Black pepper (to taste)
2oz fat free mozzarella, shredded
1. Heat a large non-stick pan with a metal handle and cook the turkey bacon until it is just cooked all the way through (no need for oil as the fat in the bacon will help lubricate the pan). Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside.
2. In the same pan (no need to clean the pan, the fat from the bacon will help flavor the rest of the dish), add the bag of spinach. Reduce the heat to low to allow the spinach to wilt. Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes in half and slice the pepper(s) lengthways. Add the tomatoes, dried herbs and peppers to the pan and stir to prevent the spinach from sticking.
3. In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites with a fork to make them light and fluffy. Season with black pepper and pour in the egg whites, stirring the mixture to ensure the vegetables are evenly distributed. Increase the heat to medium and cook until the egg mixture turns white and is predominantly set.
4. Turn on the oven to the ‘broil’ or ‘grill’ setting. Add the turkey bacon to the top of the mixture (can cut into pieces if you would prefer). Grill for approximately 3-5 minutes, until the crustless quiche is cooked on the top too.
5. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the mozzarella on top (the heat from the quiche will melt the cheese).
6. Serve immediately or portion out for the week. This works really well on its own with a salad, or can be added to wraps for a flavorful burrito!