Fries get a bad name in the health and fitness world, with the only acceptable alternative seeming to be sweet potato fries. In fact, oven baked fries from the grocery store are a good source of carbohydrates and relatively low in fat, so don’t fear the good old regular chip (in the British sense of the word!) If you would like a lower calorie, fat free, low carb alternative though, then these Fries are your answer! They are super simple, time efficient, versatile and flavoursome…the perfect side dish!
Macros per portion (based on 5 servings): 60kcal; 1g protein, 14g carbs, 0g fat
1 pack (500g) cooked polenta
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt (or any salt)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 350f.
2. On a chopping board, slice the polenta roll in half. Lay the polenta halves with the flat side down on the board.
3. Slice the polenta into strips (about half a centimeter in width). If the strips are too long, then slice in half.
4. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and transfer the polenta onto it.
5. Sprinkle the polenta with the salt, crack half the pepper over the top along with half of the paprika. Using a spoon, lightly move the polenta so the seasoned side is face down. Add the remainder of the seasoning and ensure each piece of polenta is covered.
6. Transfer to the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
7. After 10 minutes, remove from the oven. Shake the tray and transfer to the oven for a further 10 – 15 minutes (depending on how crispy you like your fries!)
8. Serve immediately! The seasoning is easily substituted for any alternatives. Some suggestions are: mixed herbs and garlic; coconut oil or cinnamon and paprika for a sweet and savory mix.