Who doesn’t love chocolate?! This molten chocolate lava cake tastes so indulgent, but is so low calorie, 2 portions are definitely acceptable! The cooking times may vary, depending on your microwave and the protein powder you use. I have used whey isolate, which is not very ‘forgiving’ when cooked, but is ‘cleaner’ than a whey/casein blend. If you are looking for a great protein powder to cook with, then definitely a protein powder that is a blend would be easier. I have yet to find a chocolate protein blend that tastes as good as this whey isolate though!
Macros: 165kcal; 31g protein, 4.3g carbs, 1.3g fat
- 32g (1 scoop) Dymatize double fudge brownie whey isolate
- 5g cacao powder (you could use cocoa powder)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3 tbsp (approx 1) egg white
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Optional extra for a chocolate peanut butter cake: 5g powdered peanut butter. (Note, macros will change).
- In a small, microwave safe bowl, weigh out the dry ingredients. Combine well with a teaspoon to ensure that there are no lumps!
- Add in the wet ingredients and combine thoroughly.
- Microwave for between 25 and 50 seconds, depending on desired consistency. From my experience:
- 25 – 35 seconds = a hot chocolate sauce.
- 35 – 40 seconds = molten chocolate lava cake (some parts cooked like a cake, other parts are a hot chocolate sauce).
- 40 – 50 seconds = a fully cooked cake.
- Enjoy as it is or, my recommendations for toppings are berries, nut butter or Halo Top ice-cream. In the picture below, I have added toffee Epic Spreads nut butter.