Spaghetti squash is a great lower carb alternative to spaghetti – 1 cooked squash yields heaps of volume! The most difficult part of this recipe is cutting the raw squash – don’t do so when hangry!
Macros per portion (based on 5 servings): 210kcal; 30g protein, 20g carbs, 2g fat
- 1/2 raw spaghetti squash (you can use the whole squash, my macros were just limited!)
- 1 lb raw boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 can artichoke hearts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 garlic and herb light cheese wedges
- 850g broccoli (feel free to use less broccoli than this!)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375f. Using a large knife (and plenty of muscle!) slice the spaghetti squash in half. Remove the seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the squash face down on the sheet. Place in the center of your preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Season the chicken with black pepper, cumin, parsley and garlic powder and wrap in foil. Place in the center of the oven, alongside the squash, for 30 minutes.
- When the squash is soft, and the flesh comes away from the skin slightly, remove the flesh. It should ‘peel’ away in strands of spaghetti. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Steam the broccoli (or cook on the stove top) until just cooked.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Finely slice the red onion and add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook until soft. Drain the artichoke hearts and finely chop.
- Add the artichoke, broccoli and spaghetti squash to the pan. Mix well and turn off the heat.
- Add the cheese triangles to the mixture and allow the heat of the veggies to melt the cheese.
- Portion out into containers and top with the cooked chicken.