I love the fragrance of cilantro and together with the kick from the ginger, onion and lime, this makes for a very flavorful low carb, low fat ‘bowl’. It is also a very ‘forgiving’ recipe, so although I have listed exact weights below, you can adapt these easily per your preferences without compromising on taste. For a higher carbohydrate option, add in jasmine rice, pinto beans or serve in a wrap, and for a higher fat option, why not add avocado or chili and lime seasoned nuts.
Macros (per portion, based on 5 servings): 227kcal; 24.7g protein, 26.6g carbs, 2.3g fat.
· 500g broccoli, riced (either bought ready riced, or, in a food processor, blitz the stalks of the broccoli on the chop setting to form a rice-like consistency).
· 1 pack/425g shrimp (cooked weight. If using raw, then approximately 500g).
· 50g red onion, diced.
· 1 red bell pepper, chopped.
· 75g fresh cilantro, finely chopped.
· 5g (approximately 2cm/0.75”) fresh ginger, minced.
· Juice of 1 fresh lime.
· 1 tin (approximately 450g) black beans, thoroughly rinsed.
· 500ml water.
· Pinch of salt.
· Pinch of black pepper.
1. Place a large, non-stick frying over a medium heat and add the red onion. Cook until soft.
2. Add in the riced broccoli, half of the cilantro, ginger, salt, pepper and water and cook until the broccoli has absorbed almost all the water (approximately 10 minutes).
3. Stir in the black beans, lime juice and shrimp. Cook for a further 5 minutes over a low heat.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remainder of the cilantro. Serve immediately, or portion out for lunches. This meal tastes great cold or hot, so is perfect for your lunchbox!