Roasted chestnuts. Can you beat that festive smell? The very thought of roasted chestnuts brings a smile to my face; it conjurs up childhood memories of being all bundled up in a scarf, gloves and hat and walking the Christmas market with a hot chocolate. Although it is still pumpkin season, I am a huge Christmas lover and any excuse to start the festive season, I am all for it! Mushrooms don’t make for the most aesthetic of meals, but this sauce is so tasty and is perfect with pasta – the pasta I have used below is butternut squash zuchette pasta from Trader Joes.
Macros per portion (based on 3 servings): 115kcal; 10g protein; 15g carbs, 1g fat
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 15 roasted chestnuts, peeled
- 150ml unsweetened almond milk
- 5 slices of ham
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp sage
- In a small, non-stick pan, saute the mushrooms over a medium heat until they begin to soften. Add the rosemary and sage and cook for a couple more minutes, until soft throughout. Leave to cool.
- Roughly chop the ham and chestnuts.
- Add the ham and chestnuts to a blender along with the almond milk and mushrooms. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the sauce to a small saucepan and cook over a medium/low heat until piping hot.
- Serve with pasta, ham, additional chestnuts and veggies for a festive dish!